Friday, June 29, 2012

Library 2.0 : Week 3

Hello Blogger world (or at least my course coordinator ;) )!

Week 3 of the Library 2.0 course is here and I have learned a bit about RSS feeds and (gasp!) joined twitter.

1. RSS Feeds
I already follow several library blogs on the Google Reader platform, but now have added the SOLS (Southern Ontario Library Services) feed to my list. The only thing I don't like about Google Reader is that you can't keep posts that are more than one month old.

I really like the RSS feeds that I follow in the library world. They give me updates and reviews on various books and I receive lots of programming ideas. This is great because I am a children's/teen librarian who is always on the lookout for new ideas.

I think that an RSS feed would be a great addition to a public library site so people could keep abreast of the new posts and activities coming from the library.

On a side note, I have another reader that I use on my personal computer that I downloaded with to my firefox browser. It's a good add-on because I don't have to be connected to the internet to use it (and I don't have internet at my house).

2. Twitter
An interesting way to keep people updated on what's happening. If many people in your community are twitter users, then I think this is a good way to keep them updated. I think that the connecting to your phone's texting ability certainly makes it more user friendly.

Well, that's all for now folks!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh- you're in a course on social media and you've already downloaded a personal RSS reader plugin for your Firefox browser?! :) Just kidding, there is always plenty more to learn when it comes to the internet!
    A tip: If you 'Star' items in your Google reader, they should save under your 'Starred' items. That way you can just keep those recipes you might not get around to for a few months, or articles you might want to refer back to.

    I love following friends or political pundits on twitter, but I definitely find I'm not a frequent 'twitter-er.'

    Someone who works for a dictionary or grammar book company could write a book on all these new social media words we've coined and then turned into verbs, nouns etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... I thought I did not know much about social media and Library 2.0, but apparently I know more than I thought. ;) Most of what I am learning is on sites that I have never used before (e.g., Twitter).

      Thanks for that tip about "starring". I will try it and see if it works.

      I think that the dictionaries and Wikipedia are doing a pretty good job of keeping up with our new technology jargon and lingo. My favourite app on my smartphone is the Merriam-Webster Dictionary! (I'm a word nerd apparently)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...