Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Summer Reading Program

Kids SRP Poster
At my work, I am the children's (and unofficially the teen) librarian. This means that each summer my library runs eight weeks of summer reading programs (SRP). Who designs, promotes, and runs this program? Well ... that would be mostly me with the help of a summer student. This is my third summer here and I think I'm finally figuring out how it all works (or am getting better at flying by the seat of my pants).

My library is quite small. Our numbers range between 65 and 80 children signing up for the reading program throughout the summer and about half of them finishing it. This summer, there were already close to 60 signed up (including six teens for our new in-house program) before we even started programs this week. This makes me so excited. :)

Teen SRP Poster
My favourite part about the preparation for the SRP is the school visits. This year I visited five elementary schools (two private, two public, one separate). I love being able to interact with the children and get them excited about coming out to the library in the summer. I must admit, I don't mind being a celebrity in their eyes either. After I visit their schools, they come in to the library and say things like, "I saw you at my school yesterday." And then they sign up for summer reading. How fun!

So here's to using our imagination to take us on flights of fantasy and fun at our SRP in Summer 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...