Saturday, January 19, 2013
A Bibliophile's Christmas Gift
Greetings! Christmas has come and gone, but I wanted to share a special gift I made and gave to the volunteers who help out at the library where I work. As I was browsing through some blogs I read for work, I came across these beautiful paper stars/flowers. After finding a copy of The Hobbit with pages falling out and buying a small glue gun on sale, I was ready to start.
1) I cut the pages of the book into roughly 2 inch by 2 1/2 inch rectangles.
2) Then I made little paper cones with them. It was trickier than I thought it would be, but I got a system down and made hundreds of them while watching a couple movies.
3) I found some thin cardboard and cut it into star shapes.
4) I attached 5 paper cones along the points of the star with the glue gun. Then I filled in the spaces in between.
5) I added a second layer of 10 paper cones on top.
6) I stamped and punched out a circle and then glued it in the centre of the flower to cover up where the cones met.
7) I cut pieces of ribbon and glued them on the back.
Altogether I made 10 of the flowers and had a few paper cones left. I put all my extra supplies in a box so I can make them again. It was a time consuming, but very rewarding, project.