Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Bibliophile's Christmas Gift





Greetings!  Christmas has come and gone, but I wanted to share a special gift I made and gave to the volunteers who help out at the library where I work.  As I was browsing through some blogs I read for work, I came across these beautiful paper stars/flowers.  After finding a  copy of The Hobbit with pages falling out and buying a small glue gun on sale, I was ready to start.

Steps:
1) I cut the pages of the book into roughly 2 inch by 2 1/2 inch rectangles. 
2) Then I made little paper cones with them.  It was trickier than I thought it would be, but I got a system down and made hundreds of them while watching a couple movies.
3) I found some thin cardboard and cut it into star shapes.
4) I attached 5 paper cones along the points of the star with the glue gun.  Then I filled in the spaces in between.
5) I added a second layer of 10 paper cones on top.
6) I stamped and punched out a circle and then glued it in the centre of the flower to cover up where the cones met.
7) I cut pieces of ribbon and glued them on the back.

Altogether I made 10 of the flowers and had a few paper cones left.  I put all my extra supplies in a box so I can make them again.  It was a time consuming, but very rewarding, project.

3 comments:

  1. These are absolutely beautiful, such a great gift idea for those who love books!! We need a phone date soon Kendra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, Kendra. I didn't see these until tonight. Hope you are enjoying it back in cold Canada! Sounds like you had a lovely trip! (I'm commenting on two posts at once). Come see us soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, I'm planning to come your way in the spring sometime. I'll let you know when. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...