Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine musings of a single gal

Beautiful Bouquet
Valentine's Day is always an awkward time for us single folk.  The dating and married people around us either make too much fuss out of it or too little.  At my church they have an "Annual Date Night" to which they kindly invite us singles (and I never attend).  I think it is weird for me to pay to go out on a "date" with my single friends and be surrounded by couples.  At the library this year, I am hosting an "Un-Valentine's Day Party" for the tweens & teens since they feel the pressure of this holiday as well.  It is not that I do not like love or cards or chocolate, but it is the forced nature of this holiday that frustrates me.  Maybe couples feel this awkwardness as well ... I will have to talk to some of my friends about it.

So... what am I doing on this day to celebrate love?  I am going to focus on God's love for us and our love in return.  There is a group from my church attending a counselling conference this week, so I sent a gift for each of them to receive today.  I made a paper flower for each person and attached a heart with part of a hymn about God's love.  I am hoping this encourages them in their day and that they will be able to learn much at this conference that they can use to share God's love with others.

And when people get gushy over romantic love, I will turn to my Creator who gave His life for me.  Such love compels me!


The Love of God by Frederick M. Lehman

The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell;
It goes beyond the highest star,
And reaches to the lowest hell;
The guilty pair, bowed down with care,
God gave His Son to win;
His erring child He reconciled,
And pardoned from his sin.

Refrain
O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!
It shall forevermore endure
The saints’ and angels’ song.

When years of time shall pass away,
And earthly thrones and kingdoms fall,
When men, who here refuse to pray,
On rocks and hills and mountains call,
God’s love so sure, shall still endure,
All measureless and strong;
Redeeming grace to Adam’s race—
The saints’ and angels’ song.

Refrain

Could we with ink the ocean fill,
And were the skies of parchment made,
Were every stalk on earth a quill,
And every man a scribe by trade,
To write the love of God above,
Would drain the ocean dry.
Nor could the scroll contain the whole,
Though stretched from sky to sky.

Refrain


5 comments:

  1. Very nice, Kendra! And you are right...Valentine's Day can be an awkward holiday. I baked a bunch of goodies for my boys and got some lovely roses from Jon. Your flowers were lovely and I am sure they were much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear that it's not just singles who find it awkward. Hope your family enjoyed the goodies and how kind of Jon.

      Delete
  2. I love that hymn! You're so thoughtful...and very wise to look to the love of God and how you can serve others rather than giving in to other feelings. Love you, friend.

    p.s saw your comment on my blog - I can't wait for you to visit and meet Joshua in the Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that is a beautiful hymn!!! I LOVE that last verse!!!!!!!!!

    Dave and I don't 'do' Valentines day - love should be expressed all year long and not on such a commercial 'holiday' (and yes I know Christmas is very much commercialized - but I think Valentines day is very different from that..but I'll get off my soap box now..! ;) ) Anyways I love what you did and I think those flowers are beautiful!! (and will last much longer then cut flowers!) I also think using this 'holiday' to once again focus on God's love is important. That's what we hope to use it for with the kids.

    Thank you for all your sweet comments on my blog lately! :) I love hearing from you!!! I miss you too actually and I hope to see you when you visit in the Spring!! (but I know you are a popular girl so might be hard)

    Yes, do the challenge, it should be fun! And do not doubt the power of a point and click - some of my favourite photos I have taken were from my point and click days!! I really look forward to seeing what you produce!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kaitlin! Hope to have fun with the challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...