Monday, March 25, 2013

Handy Dandy




Day 22: Hands
Most people have two hands with ten fingers.  We use them every day to do so much.  Right now I am using my hands to type this post.  A little while ago, I used my hands to hold a camera and take a picture.  This picture reminds me of one of the things hands are best used for and that is to serve one another. 

This weekend my church is holding a counselling conference to help people to communicate a biblical perspective in their interactions with others.  Since I have already gone through a course very similar to this one, I offered to help out with the food preparation.  Tonight, my friend M (on her March break from Moody) stopped by and immediately started helping.  I captured her willing and eager hands cleaning up the dishes from the evening snack.  She is on a school break and did not have to stop by, but I thank God for her cheerful addition to our team and the opportunity to catch up on what is happening in her life.

Another great things that hands should be used for… I am reading through Mark in my daily devotions and have seen time and again the love of God shown in the compassionate touch of Jesus’ hand.  When Jesus walked on the earth a couple thousand years ago, He used His hands to bless and to serve.  The gospels are full of examples of Him healing the sick, touching the outcast, and providing for the weary.  He was not afraid of what people would think about Him.  He did not consider the possibility of “catching” their diseases.  He reached out His hands to the broken and the longing and showed them a facet of God that was not communicated by the religious leaders of the day… a compassionate God who is willing to forgive and to heal the broken in body and spirit.

Mark 1:31 … [Jesus] came and took her by the hand and lifted her up, and immediately the fever left her.

Mark 1:41 …Jesus, moved with compassion, stretched out His hand and touched [the leper]…

Mark 5:41 Then [Jesus] took the child by the hand, and said to her, … “Little girl, I say to you, arise.”

Mark 8:23, 25 So [Jesus] took the blind man by the hand… Then He put His hands on his eyes again … And he was restored and saw everyone clearly.

Mark 10:16 And [Jesus] took [the children] up in His arms, laid His hands on them, and blessed them.

These are just a handful of the instances where Jesus hands reached out.  Through God’s strength, I can reach out with compassion and serve the people around me.

2 comments:

  1. This is a gorgeous photo!!! I really like it - my fav by far!! Lovely scriptures here, that 'handful' of them! ;) lol!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...