Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Praise with every breath




Day 6: From a low angle
Once or twice a month, I pull my flute out to practice.  This is not merely for personal pleasure, but as a means of worshiping God.  At my church, we have several music teams and a couple of them ask me to play with them.  This amazes me because my flute skills are mediocre at best.  I enjoy playing, but have about a year’s worth of lessons and only practice when I will be playing the next Sunday.  I generally play the melody line of the hymn or chorus, an octave higher than the congregation sings, and occasionally I try adding in some harmony … sometimes with disastrous results.  But a willing heart goes a long way.

My flute itself has an interesting history.  Back in 1998 when I was 13, my uncle got me a second hand flute since I had been talking about wanting to play one for years.  Our family was living in Haiti at that time and one of the missionary ladies in Port-au-Prince gave me some lessons (basically passing on her knowledge from her own flute playing).  In March of 1999, two of my sisters were baptized and the other one was dedicated to the Lord.  As part of the service, I played my flute in public for the first time.  My youngest sister was not feeling well, so after the dedication part of the service, I took her out back and left my flute with my family.  Being that we were in Haiti, the baptistery was outside. After the main part of the service everyone came outside to conclude with the baptism.  Sometime during this confusion, my flute disappeared and was never found.  Many of the people at the church were appalled that this happened and put together a fund to buy a replacement flute for me.  Out of their generosity, I received a new flute that I still play 14 years later.  I do not think that I will ever stop playing because 1) it is a form of worship, 2) music is in my blood, and 3) I want to use the gift that has been given.

Psalm 150: 1-2, 4b, 6
Praise the Lord!

Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!

Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! I like the sheet music too! Thanks for sharing the story, it is neat! Oh and love that scripture verse and your empahsise in it! ;) Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...