Thursday, April 25, 2013

A Tweet craft

 
First off, I love cutting up books!  This may seem like a strange thing for a library person to say, but it is true.  There are many books that are past their prime and what better way to use that paper than to have fun repurposing them?  Check out this craft that I made a couple months ago.  Someday I hope to do something like THIS (maybe even at the library).

This week is National Volunteer Week.  At the library where I work, we have six regular volunteers who help us with various things from shelving books to fixing them to getting the Interlibrary Loan books shipped out.  Without our volunteers, the staff would be busy keeping up with reshelving the books and would not be able to do the many other aspects of our jobs…so as a thank you, I made these birdies and we gave them a card. 

I got the idea for these birds from HERE.

List of supplies:
-          Clothespins
-          Paint (Antique White Acrylic)
-          Paintbrush
-          Paper (I used 2 sheets for each of the bodies)
-          Stamp pad & dauber
-          Glue stick
-          Scissors

Steps:
  1. Paint the clothespins and let dry.
  2. Trace the bird and wing outline onto the paper  & cut out (I used sheets out of an old book that a friend gave me).
  3. Glue the paper together to make it sturdier (I pasted 2 layers for the body since the book pages were from a hardcover book).
  4. Use a dauber or sponge and stamp pad to “age” the paper.
  5. (optional) Add glitter
  6. Pinch the bird body in the clothespin and glue the wings on.
  7. Give them away to friends or keep them to decorate your house

9 comments:

  1. These are really cute!! I think you are going to like a project I plan on posting soon - oh yes indeed! ;) Oh and that art out of deconstructed books - that is really cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your project.

      Delete
    2. I look forward to seeing your project.

      Delete
    3. I look forward to seeing your project.

      Delete
  2. Do you like these birds or your real birds better? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are a bit quieter...but I do like the live ones . :-)

      Delete
  3. Well the live ones are a bit livelier ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the artistic crafts you have made with the old books and clothespins. :)
    Mama

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...