Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Longing



Is it harder being a single woman longing for marriage or a married woman longing for children?  This question has been playing around in my brain lately.  Currently, I am in the single category…longing to make my life pleasing before the Lord whether I stay single or meet and marry someone. 

I have been with friends as they pour out their desire to be a wife.  A desire that they cannot see how it can become a reality.  I have prayed with them and listened to their heart.  Some of them are now married; others are still longing for that relationship to be part of their story. 

I have also been with friends when they are struggling because they cannot get pregnant or they have recently miscarried.  The longing to be a mother is so very strong and seems as if it will never be theirs.

On this day, just after Mother’s Day, my heart goes out to the ladies in either category.  Those who desire to be a wife and mother and those whom God has blessed with marriage, but are still longing to be a mother. 
 
I know that I often long for things that are out of sight.  In this, I am learning that need to turn these longings into a dependence on the Lord.  “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.” (James 1:17)  God gives good gifts to His children.  Sometimes I see the gifts a being good; other times I do not understand why such hurt or uncertainty is part of my story.  But when I look, I see God is good in the midst.  I am learning contentment in every situation.  Sometimes I think, “Okay, I’ve learned to trust God.  Hooray!  This is good.”  Then a new situation comes up in this sin filled world and I am challenged in a new way to turn to my Saviour in it.  I am learning the truth of this verse, and I hope you are too.  “… be content with such things as you have.  For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5b)   Whatever comes, the Lord will never change and I can trust Him to be my firm foundation, hearing my cries, understanding my pain, while giving me a joy that is only found in Him.  

May your longings be filled by Him, who loves and cares for you.

1 comment:

  1. It's true - that the Lord is our foundation but we must trust that! He does not leave us, that is so true and no matter what we face, He is right there with us!! I have been through some challenging grief but I have then, felt strongly, the Lord carrying me along!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...