Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Canada Day Storytime

Yesterday was Canada Day.  The day that Canadians celebrate the creation of our country as a separate dominion from the British Empire.  At the library last week, I got to do the storytime for the preschool crowd.  I wanted to celebrate the fact that Canada is coming up to its 146th birthday, but could not find many good books or rhymes to make this possible.  So, after some internet searching and some tweaking of 4th of July songs, here is what I came up with.

Canadian flag using hand prints.


Opening song: Shake my Sillies Out

Song: Maple Leaf (Tune: I'm a Little Teapot)
I'm a little maple leaf, on a maple tree
Red, gold and orange as I can be
When the wind blows and sets me free
Watch me float and fall gently.
by Melanie Mazurek

Song: O Canada! 
O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Rhyme: Five Birthday Candles

Five birthday candles
Wish there were more
Blow out one (blow quickly)
Then there are four
Four birthday candles
Pretty as can be
Blow out one (blow quickly)
Then there are three
Three birthday candles
Mother bought them new
Blow out one (blow quickly)
Then there are two
Two birthday candles
Birthday cakes are fun
Blow out one (blow quickly)
Then there was one
One birthday candle
A birthday wish is fun
Blow it out (blow slowly)
Then there are none


Song: Way up in the sky (tune: Row, Row, Row your boat)
While we sang this song, the children and I marched around the room with Canadian flags in our hands.
Wave, wave, wave the flag, Hold it very high.
Watch the colours gently wave, Way up in the sky.
March, march, march around, Hold the flag up high.
Wave, wave, wave the flag, Way up in the sky.

Craft: Handprint Flags (see above)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like you came up with a fun program! You are so great with kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great combination of songs/activities to celebrate Canada Day! Good work Kendra! Thanks for sharing! I like that you inorporated the birthday song too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. I thought that having a birthday rhyme in there would help the kids realize that Canada gets older like they do.

      Delete
  3. The hand print flags look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great activities/songs/craft - you are very creative and from my perspective - very good at your job!! Love that flag craft - I'm going to lock that away in the ole memory bank until next year....or you could remind me! ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially like the "little maple leaf" song. You'll have to teach it to your nieces sometime ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. Do you get to the library for storytime? You should, I'm sure AM would enjoy it and B probably would as well.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...