Monday, July 29, 2013

Tea for Summer


If you know me, you know that I like tea (especially loose leaf Earl Grey).  I drink a whole pot myself sometimes in the winter.  Well, now that summer is here, I have been experimenting with cold tea after having a scrumptious cup of Vanilla Chai Frappe at McDonalds a few weeks ago.  Here is the recipe that has had the best success.

Make Tea:
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan.

Add 4 bags chocolaty chai and simmer for 2-4 minutes.  Remove the teabags and add in
-         2 cups milk (I made it with powdered and it tasted fine)
-         1 tsp vanilla extract
-         3 heaping Tbsp honey
-         ¼- ½  tsp cinnamon
-         ¼ - ½ tsp ground ginger
Simmer a few minutes and then remove from heat.  Cool in the refrigerator for a few hours (I left it overnight). 

Frappe:
Put 6-7 ice cubes in the blender, add 1 Tbsp sugar if desired, and pour tea in to cover the ice cubes.  Blend until smooth.  Pour into glasses and serve with straws.  Enjoy!

Variations: Instead of chocolaty chai, make tea with 4 bags regular tea (or equivilent loose leaf) and add in more ginger, cinnamon, and either cardamom, allspice, or cloves.  If you use fresh ginger root and a cinnamon stick it is even better. 



5 comments:

  1. I think I love you!!! I have recently discovered McD's vanilla chia tea and I LOVE IT MORE THEN WORDS CAN SAY!!! (okay...that's a tad strong but oh MY it's delicious!!) So I love you for sharing this, make at home, version!!!!! I can't wait to try this - I just need my ice maker working again! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this sounds great Kendra! Sounds like a great treat to try out this weekend ... hot weather or not!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, Kendra! Sounds delicious. And the photo of yourself enjoying it is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...