Sunday, March 2, 2014
The dresses were lovely, but the life had been worn out of them.
I was cleaning my closet out last winter (a yearly ritual) and came across several dresses that my grandmother made for me. Time had faded them and stains were visible here and there. I knew how much effort Grammy had put into making these dresses, but they really were not fit for anyone to wear anymore.
What to do. What to do.
I thought about it for awhile and decided that I should upcycle them. What should I make? I finally settled on making a quilt.
In June, I raided my grandmothers fabric cupboard for leftover scraps from various outfits. Then September came around and I was able to plan weekly sewing dates with a lady from my church who has a lovely sewing room. Slowly the quilt began to take shape. First I cut the pieces. Then I sewed the top together. After that I cut the decorative arcs. The next step was to pin all the layers together and start "quilting" it. I sat at the sewing machine for several days zigging and zagging back and forth. Finally... I finished the project just in time to take it with me to show my grandmother.
Grammy, Thank you for starting this project years ago.
This picture shows the progression of the quilt. Enjoy!